International Trauma Life Support (ITLS) is a global organization dedicated to preventing death and disability from trauma through education and emergency trauma care. Parkland Ambulance is proud to provide courses in ITLS through our External Services Department. We offer the course at our training facility or at a convenient location to meet your needs. The program is delivered by our experienced staff instructors.
ITLS Basic and Advanced
These comprehensive courses are designed for providers who are first to evaluate and stabilize the trauma patient. The courses provide complete training in the skills needed for rapid assessment, resuscitation, stabilization and transportation of trauma patients.
The ITLS Basic course provides the core of knowledge and skills appropriate for all levels of EMS personnel, including EMT-Bs, first responders and other technicians.
The ITLS Advanced course builds on this knowledge, emphasizing evaluation steps and sequencing as well as techniques for resuscitating and packaging patients. ITLS Advanced is appropriate for advanced EMTs, paramedics, trauma nurses, physicians and other advanced EMS personnel. Hands-on stations include:
- Patient assessment and management
- Basic and advanced airway management
- Needle chest decompression and fluid resuscitation
- Spinal motion restriction — rapid extrication, short back board, helmet managment, log roll, and long back board/ scoop stretcher utilization
- Extremity immobilization and traction splint application
ITLS Basic and Advanced courses use the 8th edition ITLS for Prehospital Care Providers manual.